This vintage top has some issues as the bias edges had really stretched out over the years. However, the final product was worth the difficulty in getting the top to lay flat and square and Lynn was thrilled that her vintage top was brought back to life.
I used an all over design I call Fire Curl. I thought it meshed well with the spiky, sunny mariner’s compass. The fabrics in this quilt were a mixture of cotton and poly blends. The yellow has a really pretty soft, sheen and really catches the light.
The center of the compass was the place with the most fullness and presented the most challenge. I would imagine there was 2+ inches of excess fabric in that center! In order to help take care of that degree of excess I used placed a second layer of batting in the center. This double stuff trick fixes extreme fullness and is quite effective.