Step into the fantastic world of machine quilting using your sit down, domestic sewing machine. In this class we will use a pre-printed panel as our quilting sandbox to play with motifs. No piecing needed! Angela Huffman will show you how to use both straight line quilting and free motion quilting to learn the basics of machine quilting on a regular sewing machine or sit down longarm. Angela will share tips on how to prep your quilting project for quilting, selecting threads, fun beginner stitching designs and more.
Prior quilting experience is not needed but you do need to know how to thread your machine and set it up for freemotion quilting. If you have a table that fits onto your machine to make freemotion quilting easier, bring it!
Supplies needed: We carry everything you need and you’ll get 10% off class supplies!
- 1 panel from the Patrick Lose Anna’s Garden Collection
- 1 yard of 42″-45″ cotton fabric. Pink, Hot Pink, or Bright Green recommended. Press well.
- 1 yard of fusible Warm Fleece 2 batting (45” x 36”)- (if you feel comfortable basting your quilt sandwich with your iron and the fusible batting before class please do)
- 2 Fat Quarters sandwiched with batting of your choice which we’ll use to practice designs before quilting the project
- 1 mini cone of Buttercup Glide thread
- Bobbins to wind with above thread (you can do this in class or beforehand)
- New needle for your machine (we like a Topstitch needle 90/14)
- Sewing machine in good working order set up for free motion quilting (Or use ours for $15- limit 5, please call us at 502-718-7148 to request a machine)
- The correct foot for free motion quilting on your machine (normally a darning foot or something similar)
- Sketchbook or unlined paper
- Pencil or pen for drawing
- Your sewing machine’s manual (just in case)
- Seam ripper (just in case)
- Sack lunch- we will take a 30 min lunch break
- Machine quilting gloves or any other supplies you enjoy quilting with
Click here to see our Quilted Joy class policies. Machine Quilting Primer: Baby Quilt is categorized as a “class” for our policies.